Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Clean Slate

New Year's Day 2013.  A Clean Slate.

I'm not one to beat myself up about not living up to New Year's Resolutions, but I do like the idea of a new clean slate each January.  Last January (It was actually January 7, 2012) I posted about My Theme (Resolutions) for 2012 on my Creation and Compassion blog.  I set this quote by Robert Fulgum as my theme for 2012:

"Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life —
learn some and think some and draw and
paint and sing and dance and play
and work every day some."
— Robert Fulghum ("All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten")

So, my main focus this past year has been to be a bit more creative and live a bit more of a balanced life.  I planned to do more learning and reading and thinking and drawing and painting, and singing, and dancing and playing, and maybe even some sewing and quilting

 Have I succeeded?    Well, I didn't ever find the paint by number kit that I wanted to do.  Maybe I can still find that this year.  I did find a drawing kit that I want to try.  I may also try my hand at a portrait.  DD4 has done some amazing art work this year, and can maybe give me some pointers?   I did manage to do a lot of reading.  I set a goal of reading at least 70 books during 2012, and I have record of completing 74.   Most of this reading was for relaxation and pleasure.  During the coming year I would like to do some more serious reading.  I will still read for relaxation and pleasure, of course.  I can't imagine my life without that.  However I'm working on a list of books that I have thought about, or begun in the past but never finished.  I do know that the list will include The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and To The Rescue, The Biography of Thomas S. Monson.  More to come on that.   I did very little sewing or quilting this past year.  I have two quilts that I have begun in the past few years that I plan to complete this year, as well as several other sewing and crocheting projects.  Stay tuned to see my progress on those.  

I also had the goal to do finish re-writing a story that I have been working on for several years.  I still haven't finished the rewrite, but I did manage to add 67,842 words to it this year.  I plan to continue dedicating at least an hour each morning Monday through Saturday to work on writing.  In looking back over my blog, I see that I actually have done more blogging than I had remembered also.  I will try to document my creative efforts on my Creation and Compassion blog on a regular basis, but just like last year, my main blogging efforts will be here where I will continue to try to document my daily blessings.   And new to the list this year?  I plan to lose some weight.  This never used to even be a passing thought for me at the start of a new year, but in the past 20 years or so, the 2 or 3 or 5 pounds has added on each year.  I would love to shed a good 25 pounds, but will be happy if 2014 sees me at least 10 pounds lighter.  I am not a fan at all of strict weight loss diets.  I have always tried to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, but I do plan to do better at avoiding desserts, eating more veggies, and doing some daily walking and or biking.    So there you have it, my goals for the year 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment