Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Will Go, I Will Do!

Just a quick note before moving onto my thoughts for today.  Earlier I wrote some thoughts about funerals, and then yesterday read this blog post by Middle-aged Mormon Man.   His mother-in-law recently passed away, and as he was sharing some thoughts on grieving he commented on these verses from the Doctrine and Covenants:

Thou shalt live together in love,
insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die,
and more especially for those that have not hope of a glorious resurrection.

And it shall come to pass that those that die in me
shall not taste of death,for it shall be sweet unto them;
(D&C 42:45-46)
 
His main point was that we are commanded to love one another, and that we are also commanded to weep and grieve for those that we love when we die.  Even though we receive comfort from our knowledge of the gospel and the plan of salvation, weeping and grieving are important.  I recommend his blog and particularly this post to you all.

* * * * * * *

Now, back to our regularly scheduled message:  As one of my Goals for this new year, I have promised myself that I will again read The Book of Mormon.  Today I was reading the third chapter of 1 Nephi, a widely read and remembered verse:

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father:  I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shapp prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.   (1 Nephi 3:7)

  Just a little reminder for today that we can do hard things!  We can get out of bed in the dark, cold mornings and drive to school or church!  We can give a tlak or teach a lesson!  We can get all of the Christmas Decorations put away before February!  We can read a chapter from The Book of Mormon every day!  We can keep the dishes washed and the laundry done!  We can smile and talk pleasantly to people when we'd rather stay home in bed with a book all day!  We can save a few $$ every pay check! We can keep from eating all of the cookies!  We can go for a walk or ride a bike!  Yes, the Lord knows us, and he knows what we can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment