Friday, April 23, 2021

Temples

 

Temples  Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints consider temples to be the "house of the Lord" and the most sacred places of worship on the earth.  Everyone is welcome to attend Sunday worship services and other weekday activities at our local churches or meetinghouses, but Temples serve a different purpose.  The primary purpose of temples is for faithful members of the church to participate in sacred ceremonies such as marriages that unite families forever, and proxy baptisms on behalf of family members who have died without having the chance to be baptized during their lifetime.  These ordinances and ceremonies prepare us to return as eternal family units to our Heavenly Father once we pass on to the next life. 


I first attended the temple for my own ordinances just before my 21st birthday and my year and one half missionary service.  My sister and I went together for the first time, and she was married to her husband for eternity in the temple the very next day.   The photo below is of the beautiful celestial room in the Salt Lake City Temple where we first attended.  That was a very special time for our entire family.


Salt Lake Temple

I have been blessed to return to this temple many times since, and have attended many other temples around the country even more often over the years.   Before March of 2020, I tried to attend a temple session at least once a month, sometimes with family or friends, and other times on my own.  It has always been a place where I can feel very close to my Heavenly Father, and also to others in my family who have passed on from this life to the next.  It has been a place to feel peace and comfort when times are hard, and to learn and ponder on sacred and eternal gospel principles, as well as current worldly problems and challenges.  
 
In March of 2020, temples all over the world were temporarily closed due to the Covid 19 pandemic.  Many have re-opened their doors on a limited basis, by appointment only in order to limit the numbers in attendance so social distancing and other safety measures can be put into place.  I haven't had the opportunity to attend since February 2020, but am hopeful that I can soon return to the temple often, one my very most favorite places on earth to be.

On May 4, of this year, our prophet President Russell M Nelson announced plans to build 20 additional temples in different areas around the world.  The Church of Jesus Christ now has 251 temples announced, under construction, or currently open and operating in various countries and cities.  It is so exciting to see and know that the work of the Lord is expanding throughout the world.  

Jordan River Utah Temple


Washington DC Temple

Barranquilla Colombia Temple



Have you ever visited a Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?  Where are some of your favorite sacred places?

The Lord is in his holy temple, the Lord's throne is in heaven . . . 
Psalm 11:4

PS  The tulips are in bloom!  I planted quite a number of red tulips the year after we bought our home over 20 years ago, and love seeing them bloom every spring!





No comments:

Post a Comment