Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Relief Society

 

When I graduated from High School, I automatically became a member of the women's organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or the Relief Society   Some of my earliest memories are of going to the church every Tuesday morning with my mother and my grandmother where while they attended the weekly Relief Society meeting, any of my siblings who were not old enough for school would attend the nursery class with our friends.  Once a month or so there would be a luncheon served, and we would have tuna or deviled ham sandwiches along with our stories and games.  

Relief Society has become much more to me in my adult years.   The weekly Tuesday morning meetings no longer take place, having evolved into evening meetings as more women entered the working world and meetings were consolidated to Sundays in order to save on time and travel expenses for areas of the world where members needed to travel long distances to their closest congregation, and an additional monthly evening meeting was introduced for activities that aren't really appropriate for the Sabbath day. The monthly meetings can be as diverse and inclusive as the local members desire . . . service projects, crafting projects, quilting, canning, reading groups, book clubs, exercise groups, invited speakers, dinners, musical programs, scrapbooking, card making, tole painting,  . . . you name it and a Relief Society group has probably tried it. We have created hygiene kits, school supply kits and backpacks, quilts, warm hats, 72-hour bug out emergency kits, and many other projects to give away to charities locally and across the world.

Relief Society was especially a wonderful blessing to me when my DH and I moved across the country just after our first baby was born.  There I was, a brand new mother living in a basement apartment far away from all of my friends and family.  This was before the days of cell phones and texting, and before the days of internet and email.  I had no car during the day, and my only neighbors were my landlord and his wife and adult son who lived upstairs.  The real blessing of Relief Society to me in those days was the Visiting Teaching program, now called Ministering.  Once a month two lovely ladies from our Relief Society group would come and visit me and my child (soon to be multiple children), offering friendship, advice, and even the services of their teenage children as babysitters.  I had instant friends and an instant support group.  In turn, I was assigned to be a Visiting Teacher with another woman, about 10 years older than I, and we visited others who also became my friends and support group.  On Sundays and at the monthly evening Relief Society Meetings I had my social outlet, and these ladies truly became my mentors and my sisters, since my own mother and sisters all lived far away.   When it came time for us to move (several times) my Relief Society Sisters were there to help me pack and clean, and then new Relief Society Sisters were there to help us unpack.  We truly have been blessed by sisters across this country of ours!

Recently the weekly Sunday  meetings became twice monthly Sunday meetings where gospel topics and testimonies are discussed, as well as ideas for how to meet and serve the varied needs of our local members.   Meals are often prepared and delivered to new mothers or to families who are dealing with illness or death of family members.  Babysitting can be arranged, or just visits to those who might be lonely or new to the area. Many prayers and cards and kind thoughts have been offered and shared over the years.  For the past year and a bit since Covid arrived on the scene, our local Relief Society has been holding twice monthly Sunday meetings via Zoom.  It has helped us to feel connected and less isolated as we practice social distancing.   There have been several "drive by" evening activities with treats and the chance to see a few friendly faces, and the ministering visits, though not in person, have continued via phone call or text message or cards and letters.  

Do you belong to a Relief Society?  Who have been your support group and mentors over the years?

Facebook meme source


PS:  Enjoy this video celebrating the annual Relief Society Women's Conference Service Projects held at Brigham Young University  (and many more other smaller, but just as important acts of service):




 

No comments:

Post a Comment