Thursday, April 8, 2021

Gardens and Gilgal

 


Back in 2014 my April A to Z blogging challenge posts were all about my gardening efforts.  I think I owe my love of gardening to my dear Dad, who always allowed us to help with the big family garden on the farm, but didn't make it into a big chore for us.  He always ended up doing the lion share of the work, and every year we had a successful crop of potatoes, carrots, beets, green beans, cabbage, lettuce, onions, swiss chard, and sometimes even corn and tomatoes (depending on how soon the frost came that year) to enjoy during the late summer months and to store for the winter.  He of course was following the example of his own parents, and their parents and on and on.  I guess it's in my genes! 

My Dad's Garden

My Grandpa ready to plant his garden


My own gardens have never been quite as productive as my Dad's gardens or my Grandpa's gardens, but I have been blessed to be able to plant some sort of a garden every year of our married life.  And I have a lot of stories of our family gardens and many good memories of working with my own children and husband to till, and plant and water and weed our gardens throughout the years.  My gardens have been a refuge for me.  A place to get out in the fresh air and sunshine and dig in the dirt, release tension and anxiety and sadness at times, and enjoy the beauties of this world.

Unfortunately, I haven't had quite the time and energy to put into the garden in the past few years that I have been working full time, and my garden area keeps shrinking as I am able to work and care for less and less of area every year.  But I haven't given up!  There are currently tulips and daffodils and hyacinths blooming, along with blossoms on the young apricot tree.  A few brave peas are growing, and the strawberries are beginning to put forth new green leaves.  My DH gifted me a Burpee's Seed company gift card for Christmas, and my DD4 gifted me a little green house, so I have no excuse to work at the desk any longer than is needful.  There is plenty to do in the garden this year, and I'm looking forward to it!

In a recent church meeting (virtual, of course), we were reminded of the story of Gilgal.  Gilgal is a location on the eastern border of Jericho where the Israelites encamped immediately after crossing the Jordan River into the promised land.  There they erected 12 stones, taken from the River Jordan, as a memorial to the miraculous stopping of the river as they crossed safely to their promised land.  (see Joshua 4:19-24)  This became a place to remind the Children of Israel of when God was with them and helped them.  Do you have places or momentos that remind you of life experiences where God has helped you?  In a way, this blog is meant to be my Gilgal; to help me remember the many tender mercies and goodness that God has blessed me with.

PS.  Gilgal Sculpture Garden is a private garden near us that is open to the public.  The garden contains 12 original sculptural arrangements representing different spiritual truths that were important to Thomas Child, the creator of the gardens, along with many other stones that have been inscribed scriptures, poems and other texts.  The garden was his passion for nearly 20 years of his life and is quite an interesting place to spend a few hours.   

photo source




No comments:

Post a Comment