Friday, September 13, 2013

Clouds



We have been having quite a bit of rain lately, as maybe many others around the country.  In the past two weeks we've probably received more rain than in the past three months all together.  I'm not complaining at all, even though at times it has been a bit inconvenient and I haven't had quite the amount of yard work time that I was hoping for.  We have had a hot and dry summer, we need the rain, and I've only needed to actually use an umbrella once.

Probably even more than I have enjoyed the rain, however, I have enjoyed watching the rainbows and the clouds.   I've seen more rainbows in the past few weeks than I've seen in the past couple of years, but I've especially enjoyed watching the different clouds.  The cumulus clouds pictured above are very typical of our area and can bring scattered rain showers throughout the spring, summer and fall, but this week we've seen thicker cloud cover and darker days.  One evening earlier this week the day had been basically rain free, and I spent several hours in the evening pulling weeds from the garden.  I enjoyed some time resting in the grass and doing some cloud gazing, watching the light and shadows and the changes in the clouds as they thickened and darkened and moved across the early evening sky.   The cloud cover gives us a rest and respite from the hot sun, and brings much needed moisture.  Often times the clouds obscure our view . . . of the blue skies, the night time moon and stars, the majestic mountain peaks, and if they come low enough as they often do in the winter months, they can even obscure our vision of our own neighborhoods and roads as fog.  But experience has taught me that the clouds and the fog eventually pass, and the blue sunny skies that I love do eventually return to my view.  

Sometimes the good things in our lives can be hidden or obscured from our vision by clouds of troubles and challenges, and even by our own doubts and fears.  I need to remember that the good things are still there, even though the cloudy and challenging days might obscure my view and memory of the good.  I need to have patience and faith that the bright sunny days will return, just as they always do, and try to find the majesty and the beauty in the clouds.     

No comments:

Post a Comment