Sunday, November 23, 2014

Inspiration from the Holy Ghost

I'm grateful for Inspiration from the Holy Ghost.  In our Sacrament Meeting this morning, our Bishop spoke to fill in for the previously assigned speaker who became ill during the night last night.  He gave a wonderful talk at the last minute.   (I'm sure he was inspired by the Holy Ghost, and was able to draw upon many things that he has studied and learned recently and in the past).  One of the points that he mentioned was that if we could really see and understand how often the Lord helps us throughout each and every day without us even asking, we would be truly amazed.  This inspiration comes into our minds and our hearts through the means of the Holy Ghost, by the gift of the Holy Ghost that we received after we were baptized.

I know that I consciously rely on the help and inspiration of the Holy Ghost often.  When life gets overwhelming; when the to do list gets way too long for me to accomplish it all, I often find myself finding a place for a quiet prayer, even if it is just in my mind, asking for help.  If I can just take the time to listen for a bit, I almost always know the direction that I should take or which task I should tackle first.

One of the most important times that I have relied upon the inspiration of the Holy Ghost was when my DH asked me to marry him.  It is a rather long and involved story, but to make a long story short, I did have other options both of the times (yes, both) that DH proposed marriage to me.  The first time I chose to not accept, as I had made some other commitments that involved the next few years of my life.  The second time I knew that I really wanted to marry my DH, for many wonderful reasons including that the facts that I thought he was incredibly handsome and good and kind and hardworking, and  that I knew that he loved the Lord and wanted to serve him and others throughout his life.  I also knew that I needed to receive confirmation from the Lord, through the Holy Ghost, that my desire to marry my DH was a good choice.  I had studied things out in my mind for nearly two years, but I needed the confirmation that my choice was good and right.  So I fasted and prayed about my decision, and my DH did the same.  I received the strong, comforting affirmation that our decision was a good one.  I knew through inspiration from the Holy Ghost that our decision was right.

This does not mean that we have never had hard times, disagreements, or sadness in our married life.  It also does not mean that I wasn't nervous in the few months after our official engagement before we were married.  I did still have some pretty rough days and nights worrying about and second guessing my decision.  I was very glad that I had received that strong spiritual confirmation that my choice to marry my DH was a good and correct one, or I seriously may have backed out.  And that would not have been a good thing.  Nope.  Not good.  I was able to reassure myself several times that my decision was a good one, and we were able to move forward.  I had received a confirmation from the Holy Ghost.

I am very grateful for inspiration from the Holy Ghost.  And  . . . I love and appreciate my patient, faithful
DH!

But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.  
But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.
     D&C  9:8,9

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit.  If it had not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the place where thou art at this time.
Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth;
Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter?  What greater witness can you have than from God? 
      D&C 6:14, 15, 23

No comments:

Post a Comment