Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Can Read!

It is very hard for me to imagine life without being able to read.  Reading is one of my favorite pastimes and is one way that I nourish my soul.  I do remember when I could not read. I was blessed as a child. My mother was a second grade teacher before she married and began raising her family, and she read to me regularly.  My father also read to me.  My mother taught me my ABC's before I began kindergarten at the ripe old age of 4 years and 10 months old.  However, I could not really read for myself until I was well into first grade.  I remember the yearning that I had to learn to read, and since I learned and began reading, I have rarely stopped.  Granted, I probably read more than I should, using the time that should/could be spent in cleaning, sewing, quilting, yard work, excercising, and finding ways to serve others.  Granted, I should probably be a bit more selective in my reading material, (for my latest reads, check out my Goodreads profile) but then, what fun is that? 

Speaking of ABC's, I have signed up for and accepted the Blogging from A to Z Challenge for this coming April.  I will be posting daily Monday through Saturday on my Creation and Compassion blog, using the letters from A to Z to determine my topics.  If you're interested in joining up, check it out here.

I'm grateful for parents who read to me.  I'm grateful that I can read good books for relaxation and pleasure.  I'm grateful that I can write, and blog, and read the blogs of others.   I'm grateful for my education. But most of all, I am very thankful that I have access to the word of God.  That I can read scripture and learn of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Here is a verse that "spoke" to me just this morning:

Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen. 

2 Nephi 4:35


No comments:

Post a Comment