Friday, February 15, 2013

Cast Thy Burden on The Lord

Some days a person just needs to vent.  Friends and loved ones can be good listeners, but I certainly don't want to burden them with all of my cares every day.  That's just too much for most people.  I'm grateful for the blessing of prayer.  Of course I do try to thank the Lord each day for my many blessings, but one of my blessings is the fact that He is willing to listen and comfort me and bear me up. 

In the words of an old Hymn:

How Gentle God's Commands
31243, Hymns, How Gentle God's Commands, no. 125

How gentle God's commands!
How kind his precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord
And trust his constant care.

Beneath his watchful eye,
His Saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up
Shall guard his children well.

Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne
And sweet refreshment find.

 His goodness stands approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I'll drop my burden at his feet
And bear a song away.

Text: Philip Doddridge, 1702-1751
Music: Hans Georg Nägeli, 1773-1836; arr. by Lowell Mason, 1792-1872

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.    1 John 5:3

 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.  Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment