Sunday, May 24, 2015

Happy Sabbath

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exodus 20:8-11

Happy Sabbath!  I hope that like I am, you are having  good day of rest from your normal labors and enjoying a nice three day weekend.  The sun has actually come out this afternoon and it is a beautiful day in my neighborhood.  Hopefully we will continue to enjoy the sunshine tomorrow when I hope to travel to visit with my dear Dad and pay a visit to my dear Mother's grave.  It would be nice to have a bit of time to plant a flower or vegetable or two this coming week too.

But today is Sunday.  I love Sunday.  I love that I often have time for an afternoon nap.   I love that I can teach Sunday School and share my testimony, and hopefully strengthen someone else's faith in Jesus Christ.  I love that I can listen to others share their faith and testimony with me.  I love that I can worship through singing hymns of praise to our Lord and Savior.   I love that I have the chance to partake of the very personal ordinance of the sacrament almost every single week.  I'm very grateful for the worthy priesthood holders who stand in the place of Jesus Christ, and represent Him each week so I can promise to Him once again that I will do my best to represent Him, follow His example, and do all that I can to further His work here on this earth.

Modern prophets warn and instruct us that we need to give the sacred Sabbath day back to the Lord. We belong to the Lord.  He paid for our sins with his Atonement.  By observing the Sabbath day, spiritual power will come to us.  We need to teach our families to observe the Sabbath Day.  As we attend worship services prepared with questions to be answered, the Lord will teach us.  As we refrain from working and shopping on the Sabbath Day, our faith will increase and through our example faith across the world will increase.

And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High;

Doctrine and Covenants 59:9, 10

May you and yours have a very Happy Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment