Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quicksall and for Quilt from my Family Tree

(Note added April 30, 2015:  a week after posting this post on our family tree quilt, I came across the name Quicksall on the Bird line of my family tree.  I had seen this information before, but had forgotten that I had a family line for the letter Q!  William  Quicksall was christened  October 23, 1670 in Drawnfield, Derby, England, son of Henry Quicksall.  William died in 1760 in Chesterfield, Burlington County, New Jersey, and his granddaughter Sarah married John Taylor who was an ancestor on my Bird line.)

Have you ever seen, or even better yet, made a Family Tree Quilt?   I've seen some gorgeous ones on line such as these embroidered ones below:



However my favorite family tree quilt was made almost 16 years ago by my sister and her mother-in-law for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  It isn't actually in a tree shape.  The center square is a copy of my parent's wedding photo.  Above and below are photos of each of my siblings, myself, and our spouses at or near the time of our own marriages.  The outer edge are photos of each of the 31 grandchildren.  I'm not an expert photographer, so this image from my phone is quite blurred, but you get the idea.

Here is a better photo of the quilt as it hangs in my parents' bedroom, along with the ribbons it won in the fair:


This quilt is even more precious to our family since our Dear Mother graduated from this life this past week.  We're so grateful for the many years of love and care and the heritage that she has left us.

Do you have a quilt that represents your family tree?



No comments:

Post a Comment