Sunday, September 16, 2012

Love and Our Savior

Love and our Savior
12 Week Scripture Challenge Week 2
John 14: 23-27
  
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make ourbabode with him.
 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
How do I show my love for the Savior?  By keeping his commandments, by reading and following his word, and by trying to be more like him.
Do I keep ALL the commandments?  Yes, I try, but I don’t keep all of them all of the time.  The teachings of Jesus add so many layers to the commandments as they were presented to the Israelites and modern revelation and temple covenants add even more layers.  I’m not sure at this point if I even understand all of the Lord’s commandments.  In addition, if I truly try to be in tune to the spirit, read and study the scriptures and really pray and listen with my heart to know the Lord’s will for me, I can and will receive more direction each and every day of my life.
John 14:27 is a favorite, comforting scripture.  The gift of the Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts we have on the earth.  He is a teacher, bringing truth and knowledge to our minds and hearts, and also comfort in times of heartache, pain and stress.  Some of our greatest heartaches come when we feel and know that we have fallen short of what the Lord expects of us and what we expect of our selves.  The comforter can and does reassure me that the Lord still loves me and that I still have my divine potential, even though I have made mistakes, hurt others, or fallen short of my goals and what has been asked of me.  I can have peace. Now and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment