Monday, October 10, 2011

My Favorite Book, The Book of Mormon

What is your favorite Book?  Can you choose just one?

If you've happened to read my profile, you've seen that I read a lot of fiction; always have (except during college and on my eighteen month long church mission) and probably always will. I could never list all my favorite books and I keep finding new favorite authors all of the time!  It started with P.D. Eastman, Dr. Suess, Esther Wilkin and Eloise Wilkin; moved on to others like Laura Lee Hope, Julie Campbell, Louise Fitzhugh, Gertrude Chandler Warner, Johanna Spry, Frances Hodgson Burnett; then to the likes of  Phyllis Whitney, Mary Stewart, Shirley Sealey, James Mitchner, Robert B. Parker, Margaret Mitchell, Gerald N. Lund, Rachel Ann Nunes, Jennie Hansen, Sharon Creech, Lisa Mangum, Diane Mott Davidson, Earlene Fowler, John Grisham,  and on and on etc etc.  You probably get the idea. However, there is one book that stands apart from all the rest.  This book is not fiction.  Who introduced me to my favorite Book?

My Parents
( Shown with the first five of their eventual six children.  I'm the little one sitting on my Mother's lap)


In this post from last week I talked about being read to as a child.  I, Marcy was born of goodly parents who are wonderful examples to me. They read to me, bought me books, and encouraged my reading.  The taught me to work hard and to do my best in school.  They taught me to obey, to be kind, to help others, to not quarrel.  They taught me to love Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Savior. 

As part of their teaching, my parents introduced me to my favorite book The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, at a very young age. 

I have known about The Book of Mormon for as long as I have known about Dr. Suess.  When I was a child, we regularly read together as a family from this book along with reading from The Holy Bible.  The Book of Mormon gives us important truths about God, Jesus Christ, and the meaning and purpose of this life, as taught by ancient prophets.  I have learned these truths a bit at a time by reading and re-reading The Book of Mormon.  I recognize these teachings as truth, just as I know that the sun will rise each morning and that if I drop a book it will fall.  As I prayerfully read portions of this book daily, I continue to find help and encouragement and answers to my problems.  It brings me peace.  The prophet Moroni says it best here:

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will mannifest th truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.  And by the power  of the Holy Ghost ye may kow the truth of all things.
         Moroni 10:4-5  (pg 529)

I know from experience and from the whisperings of the Holy  Ghost that The Book of Mormon is the most important book in my life.  It is true. If I could only keep one book and give up all of the hundreds of other books I own (which would be a true sacrifice), I would definitely keep this one.  It is my very favorite book. It is a treasure. 

 Have you read The Book of Mormon?   You can read it for yourself on-line right here. If you'd like to read about other's experiences with the book of Mormon, come along on this Blog Hop



No comments:

Post a Comment