Sunday, October 9, 2011

General Conference

Ok, So I know that I haven't been posting my daily favorite Book of Mormon scriptures this past week.  I promise that I'm still reading and I will finish reading the Book of Mormon again this year.  I'm a bit behind my schedule, but I am reading.  I've also been posting quite a bit to my other blog, Creation and Compassion, and I've been including a lot of my favorite Book of Mormon scriptures there.  Go and check it out if you'd like.  Anyway since last weekend was General Conference, today I thought I would blog a bit about General Conference.  One day this past week I was reading from Jarom:

Wherefore, the prophets, and the priests, and the teachers, did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffereing the people to dilligence; teaching the law of Moses, and the intent for which it was given; persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was.  And after this manner did they teach them. 
And it came to pass that by so doing they kept them from being destroyed upon the face of the land; for they did prick their hearts with the word, continually stirring them up unto repentance.
     Jarom 1:11, 12 (pgs 139 & 140)

My thought when I read this was, wow, the Nephites must have had their own version of General Conference.  Can't you just see them gathering for church, sometimes in smaller groups and other times in bigger conferences?   And of course we know that King Benjamin gathered the people together later on for his famous meeting and teachings to them.  The prophets and the priests and the teachers were all busy exhorting the people to live the Law of Moses (remember this was before Christ was born) and to have faith in the Messiah, even though he had not yet been born.    Isn't that pretty much what our General Conference was about?  The Savior loves us.  Read and learn about him.  Keep the commandments.  Follow his example.  He atoned for our sins. He knows and understands us personally.  This is His Church. He loves us.  Our Prophet and Apostles have just witnessed and testified of Jesus Christ.  I love it!

I also love the announcement of the new temples.   My facebook post on Saturday afternoon was:

 Loving General Conference! So excited for the new temples!  Barranquilla Colombia . . . one of the most beautiful cities in the world! Provo Tabernacle . . . my old stomping grounds! Star Valley Wyoming. . . one of my Grandpa's favorite places! And France and Africa!

I served my mission in Colombia and spent 6 months in the city of Barranquilla.  If I am rich when the Branquilla Temple is dedicated we will be taking a family trip!!! (not likely, but it would be my dream!)  Colombia has more than it's share of problems, but it is by far one of the most beautiful places in the world.  I met some fantastically wonderful people during the time that I was there during my mission. When I was there I served in the Paraiso (translation:  Paradise)  area, which was only a branch at the time, meeting in a small rented home.  Barranquilla had the strongest, most faithful priesthood leaders of any of the cities where I served.  Now this area is the Paraiso Stake.  I am so happy and excited for the members there to have their own temple.  I hope and pray that the temple will be built quickly and without problem and delay. 

I love General Conference!  I love the Temple!  I love our Prophet, President Monson!  I love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and am so grateful that I live in a time and place where I can enjoy these wonderful blessings.

Thanks for stopping by.
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment