Thursday, April 24, 2014

Understanding


Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore, get wisdom:  and with all thy getting get understanding.


In our family we value learning and education.  We have always encouraged our children to do their best in school, and they have all done well.  This week we are celebrating DD3's graduation from the University and new job!  Way to go DD3!!  We love you and are  proud of you!

We also know that a college degree doesn't mean that it is time to stop learning.  Quite the contrary, it means that hopefully we now know how to learn and will continue to learn throughout our lives. Hopefully an education teaches us to use the knowledge that we have gained and turn it into wisdom, and into understanding.  Our knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, indeed our intelligence is the one thing that we do not leave behind when we leave this life.

And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people.

Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.  And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his dilligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

I believe that all true knowledge, wisdom, and understanding come from God.  The closer we come to God, the more knowledge and understanding he is able to bless us with.

And now I, Mormon, proceed to finish out my record, which I take from the plates of Nephi' and I make it according to the knowledge and the understanding which God has given me.  


Through the gift of the Holy Ghost, God can help us to know what is true and good and right.  Not only with things of the world, but also with things of God.

Now we will compare the word unto a seed.  Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves--It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.



May we all continue to learn and to gain more wisdom and understanding throughout all of our lives.


2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post. I love reading your posts. You inspire me. Thanks.
    I'm featuring you on my Y post tomorrow.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO Mormon. I am too, and proud of it, and I wish I were more like you. I just read your entire alphabet and I regret not choosing many of the things your chose doing my own alphabet. Really I'm just saying I admire your mind set and inclusion of the church in your moment to moment life. Thanks for the wonderful example. You've inspired me greatly!!!

    ReplyDelete