Monday, April 14, 2014

Light


Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world; he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
John 8:12

I have always been a lover of the light.  I love sunshine!  I love city lights and Christmas lights and staring up into the nighttime sky filled with the lights of the universe, especially out in the country and up in the mountains where one can truly see as much of  that glorious awesomeness  as possible. 

  At night time our house often has lights on in every single room.  Bright lights.  But, of course there are times when we need to have some absence of light.  Most people do sleep better in a darkened room, and as mortal humans, we do need sleep.  I can accept that fact.  But most of the time, I love to bask in the light.

I'm happy that we have many sources of light:  The sun, the moon and the stars, firelight, candles and lanterns and such.  In our day we are blessed with electricity and the myriad of lights and fixtures available to us.  I'm also grateful for the light of knowledge and truth, and the light of life.  Revelations from the Lord to modern day prophet, Joseph Smith, have helped me to understand more about the light of Christ, and about how vital this light is to all of us.  It is what we are created from.  Light is truth.  Light is intelligence: 

He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.  Man was also in the beginning with God.  Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created nor made, neither in deed can be . . . The glory of God is Intelligence, or in other words, light and truth.  Light and truth forsake the evil one . . . but I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth.  

D& C 93: 29, 29, 36, 37, 40

Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.   And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his dilligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come

D& C 130:18, 19

Are you as intrigued by light and truth and intelligence as I am?  You can read more here and here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment