Friday, July 5, 2013

City Lights

I'm a country girl who grew up near a very small town.  We didn't often make it into the city at night time when I was young, but I remember coming down the canyon highway at night time and catching my first glimpse of the city lights at night.  I always loved it . . . seeing the immense valley just filled with shimmering and twinkling lights.  I longed for exciting times in the city.  I loved the Christmas Decoration lights too, but even during the summer time the night time city lights filled me with excitement and happiness and expectations.

Over the years I have come to realize that shimmer and bright lights and dazzle are all pretty much superficial.  Most of the enticing lights from the mountain view held no more happiness for me than what I already possessed with my family, home, and faith.  Many of the lights were probably from simple, happy homes similar to mine, and the places with the brightest, flashiest lights were probably places that offered false hopes of temporary excitement, but little or no real happiness.

I still am a great lover of light.  I love the sunshine.  I love a brightly lit home.  I love fireworks and I love Christmas lights.  I still love to see the City Lights from the mountainside, but now instead of a longing for excitement, they bring me a peaceful feeling of gratitude.  I know that I already have most of the light that I will ever need.  It comes from my own home and family, from the Lord's wonderful creations, and most of all from The Lord Jesus Christ himself.   I love light.

Note:  for those of you who have an interest in my blogging attempts, I have begun a new blog, Memories of a Very Shy Child .  This will be a bit different from my other blogs, but feel free to stop by if you like!

 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely sentiment. I couldn't have said it better or agree more!

    ReplyDelete