Friday, January 18, 2013

Journals and Blogs

In Elder Eyring's talk from the October 2007 General Conference, O Remember, Remember he urged us to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness.  That talk was actually the inspiration for me to begin this blog, or at least to know what the focus of this blog should be.  In his talk, Elder Eyring spoke of keeping a journal where each day he would  record for his children to read, someday in the future, how he had seen the hand of God blessing his family. 

Other church leaders have also given us this counsel often.  My own father is a wonderful example of journal writing, and just this past week sent this own message to his family: "Write down something you are thankful for each day.  You will be surprised at the end of the year." 

So, for the past five years, I have known that this is what I need to be doing too.  However, my handwritten journal entries have become very sparse.  I used to write regularly, especially during the years that I was attending college and serving as a missionary.  I even wrote much more often as a young mother than I do now.  I checked last week, and it has been over a year since I have written in my current little journal book.  But I have been writing emails regularly to my children; weekly back when my boys were missionaries, but not quite so frequently now.  I do try to write a least several times a month.  The emails are all saved and stored in my email account, but perhaps I do need to work at printing them out into a book.  These have really been my journal for the past nine years, but this blog, Random Thoughts and Tender Mercies, is my gratitude journal.  Hopefully here I can record the good things about my life and recognize and remember God's kindness to me and my loved ones.   

No comments:

Post a Comment