Monday, November 5, 2012

The Internet

Gratitude Day 5: I'm grateful for the internet and cell phones, and that I can keep in touch with family and friends who I don't get to see on a regular basis!
 
Several days ago a younger co-worker posed the question:  What is the greatest technology or development that you have seen in your lifetime?  It didn't take me long at all to answer.  Definitely the internet.  It has changed the world.  I remember trying to wrap my mind around the concept when DH came home about 26 years ago explaining to me how it works, and that he was going to order some nice dress shirts on-line.  At the time we were living across the country from our families, and kept in touch with them through snail mail letters and the occasional phone call.   It was quite a while before we actually had internet access at home, then email, and then slowly family members and friends came on board.    The internet also provides instant access to such a wealth of information, changing the way we read  and see our news, do research for school or our own personal knowledge.
 
  We now live closer to our families, but still rely on email, facebook, and now text messaging more than phone calls and snail mail to keep in touch with each other, and now, with our children who are scattered across the country.  I am the first to admit that with the good comes the possibility for bad and even evil, but I am definitely grateful for the blessings of the internet and cell phones in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment