Friday, April 8, 2022

Grandpa's Garden

 

Grandpa in his garden in the early spring

My Grandpa ALW, (my Daddy's dad) always had a wonderful garden right in the eastern part of his front yard.  Though it was smaller than our large family garden that was located in front of the barn between our house and Grandpa's house, it was always well weeded, watered and produced an abundance of peas, beans, beets, carrots, turnips, onions, cabbage and other vegetables for Grandma and Grandpa's  own use and to share with friends and relatives.  The growing season in our mountain valley isn't very long, so crops like tomatoes and corn and squash usually didn't quite mature before the first frosts came.  All of the cousins have fond memories of raiding the pea patch for a fresh and nutritious snack. Grandpa  also had a beautiful border of orange daylilies, a row of delicate sweet peas, and a huge yellow rose between the pumphouse and the driveway.

 During his last years after Grandma was gone, when I was a teenager, he still kept up the garden.   I'm pretty sure my Daddy helped out a lot plowing or tilling it up in the spring, but the garden gave him purpose and exercise, and others still benefited from his generous gifts of produce. 

I don't really remember much about my Grandpa VW's garden ( my Mom's dad), though I know had one most of his life.  My Mom has talked and written memories of helping in the garden, and most families who had the space in those days did keep a vegetable garden during the depression and World War II years.  My memories of Grandpa VW's yard are of the luscious fruit trees!  Peaches and Cherries and probably pears and berries were in the back orchard behind the house.  I remember going for a visit in the summer time to pick and  bring home a bushel or two of cherries for bottling, and in the fall Grandpa would usually bring us a bushel or more of peaches.   What a treat, as our cooler valley only produced the apples and plums and strawberries.  We always had plenty of bottled fruit in the cellar.

I'm grateful that I have always had a spot to plant a garden and berries and sometimes even fruit trees in every home that we have lived in during our nearly forty years of marriage.  It is a lot of work, I will not lie, but gardening brings me a lot of joy, even in the years when it doesn't produce as well as I would like.  This year I've already planted peas, potatoes, spinach, lettuce and 5 brand new raspberry plants, and the apricot tree is already in bloom.  Spring gardens make me happy!  The old homestead with both my parent's home and my grandma and grandpa's home is now sold and the buildings are all gone, but I am lucky enough to have salvaged a few of my favorite plants that are now growing in my own yard . . . some of my mom's spring daffodils, and my grandpa's yellow roses and orange daylilies. 

Did you parents or grandparents have gardens or orchards?   
Do you grow a garden?

Grandpa's yellow rose bush


The old homestead circa 1955


6 comments:

  1. Such wonderful memories you have of the gardens you knew in your growing up years. Neat that you have a garden nowadays too. I think it is a great thing especially with the price of food these days and the scarcity of some food items. We have grown tomatoes before but haven't grown anything in years and now living in Phoenix I think it gets too hot for much to grow.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had the chance to visit Phoenix, but do have cousins who now live in the area. I can imagine that it would take a lot of effort and TLC to grow much during the hottest months, but you might have some success with early Spring can later fall crops? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. You grow a lot of things! My husband's grandmother was a very enthusiastic gardener and taught me a lot. I mostly stick to flowers and some herbs since we always seem to be short on time to maintain it, but even those make me very happy. And we have a blackberry bush that I eagerly look forward to picking from every summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I "try" to grow a lot of things, yes, but don't always have the time or energy to keep things taken care of as well as I should. I'm glad you can enjoy your flowers and herbs and blackberries. Growing things makes me happy too!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to have a nice vegetable garden--or better just have access to the produce and let someone else to the work. I never spent much time around either of my grandparents' houses. My maternal grandparents didn't have a very big yard--they had a lot of flowers and plants growing, but I don't recall anything like fruits or vegetables. I spent even less time at my paternal grandmother's house, but I was told that she did a lot of canning so I presume she must have had some kind of garden. She had a pretty big yard so it's very possible she might have had a sizeable garden.

    My father made a few attempts at growing a garden in our quite large yard in TN, but I don't recall the garden being very productive. It would have been nice if I had helped him, but he didn't push the issue and I didn't volunteer. I'm sure we could have had a very nice garden if some real effort had been made. Our neighbors always grew a lot of stuff and frequently they gave my mother tomatoes.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to be on the receiving end of gardening neighbors. One of my neighbors celebrated her 90th birthday last year, and she shared some of her tomatoes with me since mine didn't do so well this past summer. I'm not sure what I would do without my yard and garden . . . hopefully I could do some container gardening of some sort.

      Delete