Sunday, January 27, 2019

Witness of Jesus Christ


I have received the challenge this weekend to write down my witness of Jesus Christ.  Although I often address this topic, I will do so once again.

I don't ever remember a time I have not known and felt that I am a child of God, our Heavenly Father, who knows me and loves me, as is every soul who has ever lived on this earth. This is not only what I have been taught all of my life, but what I have always believed and felt in my heart.  I have been taught to pray to God the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, every day, and I know he hears and answers my prayers with comfort, direction, knowledge, peace, and other blessings that I seek.  

The Bible is the word of God and teaches us about His dealings with his prophets and the people of the world throughout the generations.  Most importantly, the Bible teaches us about our Savior, Jesus Christ, who created this earth under the direction of God the Father, came to this earth as a mortal man with the power of God, son of Mary and God, having the power to not only offer all of us, his brothers and sisters, mercy and forgiveness from our sins and human faults by grace of his infinite atonement.  In addition to this gift of forgiveness, he also gave his life as he was crucified, and being able through the power of God to overcome death through the resurrection, has given the gift of resurrection and future eternal life to all mankind.  

The Savior's work did not end with his death and resurrection.  He is the Savior of all who live on this world, past, present and future.  His work continues to go forth on the earth today, spread throughout the world through his latter day prophets.  Joseph Smith was the first of many modern day prophets to receive the priesthood authority of Jesus Christ to act in His name and direct the work of His church here on the earth in modern times.   We also have access to the witness and testimony of many other prophets, both ancient and modern, who have testified of the divine mission of Jesus Christ and shared the gospel that he has taught throughout the ages in The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price.  I have felt the comforting, confirming witness of the Holy Ghost many times throughout my life bear witness to me that the teaching and testimonies found in these scriptures are true.  I know that God lives.  That Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Messiah, the Savior of the world.  

The Lord is My Light

  1. 1. The Lord is my light; then why should I fear?
    By day and by night his presence is near.
    He is my salvation from sorrow and sin;
    This blessed assurance the Spirit doth bring.
  2. (Chorus)
    The Lord is my light;
    He is my joy and my song.
    By day and by night he leads,
    He leads me along.
  3. 2. The Lord is my light; tho clouds may arise,
    Faith, stronger than sight, looks up thru the skies
    Where Jesus forever in glory doth reign.
    Then how can I ever in darkness remain?
  4. 3. The Lord is my light; the Lord is my strength.
    I know in his might I'll conquer at length.
    My weakness in mercy he covers with pow'r,
    And, walking by faith, I am blest ev'ry hour.
  5. 4. The Lord is my light, my all and in all.
    There is in his sight no darkness at all.
    He is my Redeemer, my Savior, and King.
    With Saints and with angels his praises I'll sing.
  6. Text: James Nicholson, 1828-1876
    Music: John R. Sweney, 1837-1899
Here is a link to a video outlining the story of the first vision of Joseph Smith, the modern day prophet who gave his life as a witness to the divinity of the Savior, Jesus Christ.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/what-do-we-know-about-the-nature-of-the-godhead-young-women?lang=eng&_r=1

And here is a shorter version of this story:





No comments:

Post a Comment