Sunday, October 14, 2012

Personal Revelation or Stupor of Thought

Personal Revelation or Stupor of Thought
Twleve Week Scripture Challenge Week 6
D&C 8:2-3, 9:7-9

Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.   Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.
D& C 8:2-3
Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.  But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.  But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.
D&C 9:7-9

One of the things I have noticed in this past General Conference is that so many of the talks focused on how we need to go in prayer to Heavenly Father, asking for his will in what we need to be doing, and asking for his direction about who needs our help or visits or who is in need of some service that we can offer.  These verses tell us that the Holy Ghost will tell us in our minds and in our hearts what we need to know.  This is revelation, just as Moses and the other prophets have received revelation in their days.   But this is personal revelation, for our own use and for our own benefit.

The verses in D&C 9 remind us that we can't expect the Lord to make all of our decisions for us.  We need to study out our options, make our own choices, and then go in prayer to the Lord to receive a confirmation in our mind and in our heart that it is right.  If it is not right, we will not receive these feelings of confirmation, but rather, we will have a stupor of thought. 

So, in asking for guidance in my life, in choices I need to make, am I studying my options out like I should?  Is my indecision due to a stupor of thought, or is it just that I have not put in the time and study needed for my answers?


No comments:

Post a Comment