Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Good Listener

I never have been a big talker.  (Well, except for maybe late at night when I happen to have a somewhat captive audience that is ready for bed and unable to escape my blabberings.  But that's a post for another day).  I was a very shy child, and would often rather sit quietly in the corner in a room full of adults listening to their conversations  than be out with the rag-tag tumble of busy and normal kids.  I have had to learn slowly over the years how to be a somewhat decent conversationalist, and one on one or in small groups I can usually hold my own.  But I would still rather be the one listening.  I have had several people tell me over the years that I am a good listener, and that fact has made me happy.

Most people will have plenty to say once they realize that you really do care to hear what they have to say.   Sometimes we need to know the right kinds of questions to ask to draw them out, but most people are actually quite happy to share at least some of their thoughts, and dreams and experiences.  I like getting to know people and hearing the stories they have to tell.  I like being a listener.

1 comment: