Saturday, October 26, 2013

Prayer

I cannot remember a day in my life without prayer.  Growing up, my parents gathered us all together each evening to kneel in family prayer.  As we headed off to be tucked into bed, we were taught to kneel and offer our own individual private prayers.  Each morning before breakfast, my parents kneel together for family prayer with whoever is at home for breakfast.  During the school year, we children would usually already be at school by the time my father came in from morning chores, but we always knew that the prayers would be said, and among many other things, Heavenly Father would be petitioned to watch over and bless and protect us all throughout the day.  I cannot imagine my life without prayer.

As a child, I did not always begin my day with personal prayer, but as I grew and was taught, I found that taking a few minutes each morning to thank my Heavenly Father for my blessings and to ask for his help throughout the tasks and challenges of the coming day was a great blessing in my life.   When I was far from home in South America as a young adult serving as a missionary for my church, I received a letter from my Grandfather with the counsel to not only pray morning and evening with my companion and on my own, but to also take the time in the middle of the day to offer prayers of thanks and asking for help and guidance in our work.  I tried to follow this counsel then, and have often done the same when the challenges of life become difficult to handle or face.   As a mother I have found prayer to be an  invaluable help to me and a source of comfort.   I pray for my family, my DH, and each of my DS's and DD's and my dear DIL each and every day.  I know that my prayers are heard and answered.  I know that I am guided and helped in my decisions and actions, and watched over and protected.  I am often strengthened and comforted, and am better able to face my sorrows and challenges.  As I take time to be still and think during and after my prayers, I receive knowledge and ideas of what I need to be doing.  I believe in the power of prayer.  I cannot imagine my life without it.

This children's hymn was written the same year that my DS1 was born.  I did not grow up with this song, but have learned it with my children, and it continues to be one of my very favorite songs: 


Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
"Suffer the children to come to me."
Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.

Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list'ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n.

Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938
(c) 1984 by Janice Kapp Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment