Sunday, October 13, 2013

Baptisms

Yesterday I had the choice experience of attending two different Baptisms of young eight year olds.   One was for a young man who I have taught in primary, the other for a young lady from a neighboring ward who I do not really know well.   In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints,  the Baptism ordinance is reserved for children and adults who have reached the age eight, and are now considered accountable  for their own actions, and most children of members of the church are baptised at age eight. 

Each of the services was different, with family members or friends of the children participating in the service by giving talks full of advice for the children or presenting musical numbers.  The songs and the talks all centered on how much Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us, want the best for us, and how Baptism is the first step in our journey back to live with them again.  When we are baptized, our sins are washed away, and we are forgiven for any wrongs we have done.  Baptism is also a covenant that we make with our Heavenly Father to keep his commandments and to always remember him. 

After the baptisms, the children received a blessing from a Priesthood holder where they were confirmed as members of the Church and given The Gift of the Holy Ghost. This gift is a privilege that will allow them to receive continual guidance and inspiration from the Holy Ghost throughout their lives.  

It has been many years since my own baptism in November of 1968, but I am very grateful for these gifts.  I am grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ.   The Holy Ghost has helped and guided and comforted me many times throughout my life, and I could feel the spirit very strongly yesterday as these ordinances were performed and explained to these two sweet children. 

When I am Baptized

I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away.
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

Words: Nita Dale Milner, 1952-2004; adapted. (c) 1989 IRI
Music: Nita Dale Milner, 1952-2004. (c) 1989 IRI

No comments:

Post a Comment