True confession. I have only read straight through the Old Testament once in my life that I remember, along with my dear husband and whatever children happened to be here at home with us at that time. I don't remember exactly when it was. We may have started back in 2018, or possibly back in 2012, and it took us over a year to finish the entire book reading one or two chapters every evening. Of course I have read and studied much of the Old Testament many times over the years in Sunday School and youth Seminary programs and also as a missionary. As some of you might be aware, the Old Testament is the current course of study for The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints this year in 2026, for our members to study throughout the year both at home and at church.
In the past I have been able to appreciated many of the beautiful Psalms written by King David and others, but I don't think I've ever realized just how important these hymns and verses of praise and lament have been to so many people over the generations. These are the words and songs that our Savior learned and were part of his life and tradition while here on the earth. So many of the verses are familiar to me from previous readings and study in past years, and also from hymns that we sing on a regular basis. I hadn't remembered how many there are. These have been precious weeks as we reveiw and study the Psalms.
Here are just a few of my favorites Hymns that are based on verses from the Psalms:
How Great Thou Art Text by Stuart K Hine
The Lord is My Light Text by James Nicholson
The King of Glory (Clean Hands and a Pure Heart) music and lyrics by Donnalynn Grunewald
What are some of your favorite Psalms and Hymns from the Psalms?
For God is the King of all the earth; sing ye praises with understanding.
Psalm 47:6, 7

No comments:
Post a Comment