Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Contention Vs Civility and Charity -- Our Choice

 

This past Sunday, Palm Sunday, I was able to listen to perhaps the finest sermon I have ever heard, delivered by President Russell M Nelson, the world's living prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  This was the perfect message for me, as I have recently been trying to come to terms with one of my own shortcomings, my temper.  Generally it is quite easy for me to keep my cool, and I try to be a peacemaker, but there have been, and sometimes continue to be times when I loose my temper, slam doors, raise my voice, and on occasion even worse.  Unfortunately, most of these instances of temper have been directed at the people I love the most, my dear husband and my children.  But there have also been public displays of my temper in front of my friends at school, my co-workers, and the wonderful and talented young women and the other leaders that I worked with  several years ago at church.  

If any of you dear readers have ever been the object of my anger or my temper, please know that I am truly sorry for my actions, and that I ask for your forgiveness.  When I have previously expressed these sentiments, many have come to my defense with very kind words, but that does not erase the fact that I have lost my temper in the past and most certainly caused hurt to others.  I'm sorry.

"Contention is a choice.  Peacemaking is a choice.  You have your agency to choose contention or reconciliation.  I urge you to be a peacemaker now and always. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy that we can say about another person, whether to his face or behind his back, that should be our standard of communication."   

Isn't this the most perfect message from the Lord that could be given to our world at the present time?   President Nelson also addressed the subject of Charity and the example displayed by our Savior, Jesus Christ throughout his life not only in word but also his actions.  Blessed are the Peacemakers.  Love your enemies.  Bless them that curse you.  Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.  By this shall men know that ye are my disciples,  if ye have love one to another.   If you need a bit of light and inspiration in your life, I encourage you to listen to these words.


May you all have a very blessed Easter Season full of charity and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment