Tuesday, March 10, 2015

More Happy Things


1.  Daylight Savings Time:  Yes, I know that I often moan and groan about getting up in the dark in the mornings, but really truly, I am happy that we have more daylight in the evenings now.  Yes, the days are getting longer and eventually we will be enjoying the long spring and summer days, but it has been nice to do a bit of shopping or working in the garden after work this week before it gets dark.

2.  Warmer weather:  Maybe we are done with winter?  Here in our neck of the woods we have hardly had any winter or snow at all yet, so I'm reluctant to say that we're done with winter, but if this week's weather is any indication, we may just be well on our way into spring.  Hopefully we will get more of our needed moisture in the next few months, but perhaps it can still be warm and not freezing cold and snow?

3.  Things are starting to grow:  We now have some baby yellow daffodils and some pretty white hyacinths in the front yard.   There are buds on the trees and the strawberries and onions are starting to green up.

4.  I was able to plant seeds today!  I thought that my seed supply was all used up.  I have been doing some window shopping in the seed sections of the stores the past week or so, but the budget hasn't allowed me to make any purchases yet.  But the weather was so nice this afternoon that I looked through my old seed packets and found some spinach and lettuce and green onions left  from last year.  I dug up one of my small plots and planted away.  I also found in the neglected garden patch some basil and marigolds from last year and planted some starts indoors in some potting soil from last summer's flower pots.  There was also a package of Big Max Pumpkin seeds that hadn't been used, so several pots of those were started too.

5.  Free Lunch:  Last week I went to a few meetings at my work.  On two days the meetings included a free box lunch!

6.   DD2 Fixed Dinner tonight:  Delicious pasta with veggies and chicken and Pesto.  Delicious dinners prepared by others are the best! She even cleaned up the dishes!



7. I've found some time to read.  I don't have any library books out right now, but a week ago I pulled out one of my old favorite reads from my childhood/teenage years:  The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss.   I read this book many many times, and then my kids read it too.  My original paperback copy (like the 2nd image above)  eventually wore out, and DD2 gifted me a new copy (the top image above) several years ago.  It has always been one of my favorite fun reads.



8.  It's National Sister's Week! (This links to information about National Catholic Sisters Week, started in 2014 as part of National Women's History month, but I like the idea of also celebrating my wonderful biological sisters too!)  I have three of the most amazing sisters in the world.  Our dear Mother has not been well for the past few months, and my dear sisters have been taking turns staying with my parents around the clock, leaving their own families and jobs and other normal activities in order to care for and pamper our dear sweet Mother who has spent so many years of her own life in the service of others.

Yes, things have been a bit stressful around these parts lately, but life is still good.  For everything there is to complain about, we can also find a blessing and something to smile and be happy about!

Count Your Blessings
Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856-1922
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851-1921


  1. When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
  2. (Chorus)
    Count your blessings;
    Name them one by one.
    Count your blessings;
    See what God hath done.
    Count your blessings;
    Name them one by one.
    Count your many blessings;
    See what God hath done.
  3. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings; ev'ry doubt will fly,
    And you will be singing as the days go by.
  4. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
    Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
    Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.
  5. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
    Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.
  6. Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856-1922
    Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851-1921

No comments:

Post a Comment